Current:Home > InvestTaylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack -VitalWealth Strategies
Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 00:16:36
Taylor Swift’s upcoming concerts in Austria were the target of an alleged terror plot.
Authorities in Vienna confirmed to NBC News Aug. 7 that two men have been arrested in connection to planned attacks on major events in the city, including the “Karma” singer’s upcoming Eras Tour shows on Aug. 8, Aug. 9, and Aug. 10, which have been canceled.
"Due to confirmation by government officials of a planned terrorist attack at the Ernst Happel Stadium," event organizer Barracuda Music wrote on Instagram Aug. 7, "we have no choice but to cancel the three planned shows for everyone's safety."
Swift's website also announced that all tickets for the three shows "will be automatically refunded within the next 10 business days."
One of the suspects taken into custody is a 19-year-old man who had allegedly pledged allegiance to the Salafi-jihadist group ISIS, Vienna State Police Director Franz Ruf and the head of the State Police Gerhard Purstl said during a press conference Aug. 7. The authorities also noted, per NBC News, another arrest was made later that afternoon.
Authorities explained that the arrested suspects had “detailed” plans to carry out an attack, and the 19-year-old had been found with chemical substances which authorities are currently trying to determine whether could be used to make a bomb.
E! News has reached out to reps for Swift regarding the arrests and cancelation, but has not yet heard back.
The arrest comes less than a month after an individual was arrested prior Swift’s concert in Gelsenkirchen, Germany, due to threats against Swift and her boyfriend Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce, both 34.
According to the Associated Press, a 34-year-old man had purchased a ticket for the Miss Americana star’s July 17 concert, but was arrested upon entry into the Veltins-Arena, following “tips from organizers of the event.”
And while Swift did not publicly address the previous arrest, she had spoken adamantly before about the precautions she has in place to keep her shows, fans and loved ones safe—calling any violence at her shows her “biggest fear” after the bombing at an Ariana Grande concert and shooting at the Route 91 Harvest music festival in 2017.
“I was completely terrified to go on tour this time because I didn’t know how we were going to keep 3 million fans safe over seven months,” she wrote in an essay for Elle in 2019. “There was a tremendous amount of planning, expense, and effort put into keeping my fans safe.”
(E! News and NBC News are both a part of NBCUniversal).
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (6)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Danny Masterson Sentenced to 30 Years to Life in Prison in Rape Case
- With 4 months left until the caucus, Ron DeSantis is betting big on Iowa
- McConnell vows to finish Senate term and remain GOP leader after freezing episodes
- RFK Jr. closer to getting on New Jersey ballot after judge rules he didn’t violate ‘sore loser’ law
- Mother allegedly confined 9-year-old to home since 2017, had to 'beg to eat': Police
- Poland bank governor says interest rate cut justified by falling inflation
- 49ers' Nick Bosa becomes highest-paid defensive player in NFL history with record extension
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Carrasco dismisses criticism of human rights in Saudi Arabia after transfer to Al Shabab
Ranking
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Danny Masterson's Lawyer Speaks Out After Actor Is Sentenced to 30 Years to Life in Prison
- Australian police allege a man killed a work colleague before shooting himself
- Deion Sanders, Colorado start fast with rebuild challenging college football establishment
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Simone Biles Shares Hope to Return for 2024 Olympics After Experiencing Twisties in Tokyo
- Canadian journalist and author Peter C. Newman dies at 94
- City lawsuit says SeaWorld San Diego theme park owes millions in back rent on leased waterfront land
Recommendation
US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
Corporate Nature Restoration Results Murky at Best, Greenwashed at Worst
Oregon man sentenced to death for 1988 murder is free after conviction reversed: A lot of years for something I didn't do
Grizzly that killed woman near Yellowstone and attacked someone in Idaho killed after breaking into house
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Everyone’s talking about the Global South. But what is it?
NHTSA pushes to recall 52 million airbag inflators that ruptured and caused injury, death
A whale of a discovery: Alabama teen, teacher discover 34-million-year-old whale skull